New Trump Travel Order to Drop Iraq From Ban List, Official Says – Bloomberg

President Donald Trump’s new travel order will drop Iraq from the list of mostly Muslim nations whose citizens will be barred from entry to the United States for 90 days, according to a White House official.

Trump has delayed issuing the new directive, which was to be signed Wednesday, until at least Friday, said the official, who asked not to be identified discussing the policy decision ahead of its announcement. The order is a revision of a travel ban imposed Jan. 27 that was blocked by federal courts.

The delay allows more time for the administration to build political momentum from Trump’s address to Congress Tuesday before public attention shifts to a new version of the travel ban. Trump’s initial travel ban set off a weekend of chaos at airports and border crossings as hundred of immigrants were detained or delayed in being admitted to the country and sparked global controversy.

The ban on entry of Iraqi citizens caused consternation in a key ally of the U.S. in the fight against Islamic State terrorism. At least one translator who worked with the U.S. military in Iraq was detained at the border under the initial order, fueling additional criticism.

The revised order will initially keep out citizens of Yemen, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya and Somalia for three months while the government determines whether people from those countries can be sufficiently vetted for terrorist sympathies, the official said. 

The new order will also alter treatment of Syrian refugees, who had been banned indefinitely under the original order. They will now face the same 120-day ban as refugees from other countries, the official said.

    New Trump Travel Order to Drop Iraq From Ban List, Official Says – Bloomberg

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published.