The director addressed the international media at the Busan International Film Festival, where he is serving as chair of the event’s competition jury.
Oliver Stone declined to condemn Harvey Weinstein over the mounting allegations of sexual assault that have engulfed the once celebrated film producer.
Stone addressed the international media Friday morning at the Busan International Film Festival, where he is serving as chair of the event’s competition jury. It wasn’t long before he was asked for his reaction to the Weinstein allegations, along with whether he was aware of the many rumors about Weinstein’s behavior over the years.
“I’m a believer that you wait until this thing gets to trial,” Stone said, continuing: “I believe a man shouldn’t be condemned by a vigilante system. It’s not easy what he’s going through, either. During that period he was a rival. I never did business with him and didn’t really know him. I’ve heard horror stories on everyone in the business, so I’m not going to comment on gossip. I’ll wait and see, which is the right thing to do.”
On Thursday, police in New York and London confirmed they were investigating Weinstein for sexual assault. The police investigations follow Tuesday’s exposé in The New Yorker in which three women accused Weinstein of rape. Days before The New Yorker piece, The New York Times rocked Hollywood with its own investigation into Weinstein in which the Miramax co-founder was accused of sexual harassment by multiple women, including actress Ashley Judd. Since then, many more women have come forward with allegations of sexual harassment by Weinstein, including Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow, Léa Seydoux, Cara Delevingne and others.
Stone’s remarks stand in contrast to the wave of industry condemnation that has followed the reporting of Weinstein’s alleged conduct, with male and female actors, directors, CEOs, politicians and others speaking out against the embattled mogul. A sampling of those who have commented, with criticism of Weinstein and support for the alleged victims, includes: Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks, Disney chairman Bob Iger, Colin Firth, Judi Dench, Hillary Clinton, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, Charlize Theron, Cate Blanchett, Jennifer Lawrence, Barack and Michelle Obama, and many more.
Weinstein has denied the allegations of criminal misconduct. In a statement published in The New Yorker, a spokesperson said that “any allegations of nonconsensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein.”
Although Stone may never have done business with Weinstein person-to-person, he is in business with The Weinstein Company. In May, Stone teamed with Weinstein Television for production of his first scripted TV series, Guantanamo. The show is said to explore the United States’ Guantanamo Bay prison, telling the story of the detainees as well as the soldiers, judges, lawyers, doctors, journalists and other civilians on the remote military base.
Other companies and individuals working with Weinstein’s TV imprint have distanced themselves from TWC. Netflix’s Peaky Blinders has removed TWC’s logo from its credits and Apple scrapped a planned 10-part TWC-produced series about Elvis Presley. Meanwhile, two high-profile original dramas at Amazon — one by Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner, and the other from Silver Linings Playbook director David O. Russell — are said to be in flux.
Oliver Stone on Harvey Weinstein: "It’s Not Easy What He’s Going Through" – Hollywood Reporter